Sunday, January 30, 2011

All About Food

When you go abroad, everyone always asks: How's the food? What do they eat? So here is a list of everything I've eaten so far.

First night: Tortilla patata (think: quiche with tons of potatoes and veggies. YUMM) I thought this was dinner. Then they brought out Pescado y salsa (Fish and salsa) except salsa is apparently just a word for sauce. It was fish in some yellow sauce that had itty bitty baby shrimp in it too. I surprisingly enjoyed it, because I don't normally like fish. The fact that it's fresher helps a lot. Then, as every meal, it ended with fruit and yogurt. This is apparently desert.

Friday: Breakfast of toast and some sweet bread and croissants. I <3 bread, so all delicious! Lunch  was again a surprise two course affair. First we had pasta in some marinara sauce (ish) and I want to say sausage in it, but I didn't ask. Then, after I was already full, we had fried chicken breasts. They gave me one and when I was halfway through with it they took it away and said it wasn't fried enough. Then they gave me a whole new one which was "fried perfectly," ie, it was burnt. It was still tasty though, I just couldn't eat the whole thing! Then that night my group went out for tapas, but it wasn't real tapas. We just went to a bar and had squid (rubbery), fried blue cheese (gross), cheese sandwiches (tasty), and proccuito sandwiches (gross proccuito).

Saturday: Breakfast of some tortilla/crepe/pancake thing (don't know, but it was tasty!) and more of the sweet bread. Lunch of pea soup (delicious if you closed your eyes) and ham/duck. It's best not to ask sometimes. Whatever meat it was, it was yummy! Dinner was then little pieces of chicken (bone and all) and french fries. They kept telling me to eat the chicken with my hands, because I was using fork and knife to cut around the bone. But then they ate french fries with a fork. It seems a little backwards to me!

Sunday: breakfast of more of the tortilla/crepe/pancake things and ColaCao (hot chocolate). Rumor has it we are having paella for lunch!

I love the food here, everything they've made me is delicious so far! There's just SO MUCH of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment