Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Birthdays, Baths, and the Boy

Today is one of my friend's birthdays! We are going to make her a cake with nutella frosting (because apparently the Spaniards don't have premade frosting) and then we are going out for tapas with the whole gang. It should be a good time. I am excited for it. I am a little sicky today, but I am almost certain it is only because I have only had coffee today and no real food. That probably is not the best decision ever. I am hoping after lunch and siesta I feel better because I don't want to be the sick Debbie Downer at the birthday shenanigans tonight.

In other news: My host mom showered for the first time since I've been here! It was so bad I had to hold my breath when I walked past her. It was terrible.

Yesterday we had a meeting with ERASMUS students, which is basically inter-European exchange. We met some cool kids, and practiced our Spanish a bit, which is always good. We then bought our textbooks, but since we are sharing them 5 ways, it only cost 8 euro each for 2 books. Good deal compared to the 700 I usually spend on a semester's worth of books! 

The boy leaves sometime soon. Not sure of exact dates or anything, but it is really hard. The closer it gets the more it hits me. Like today in class it seriously hit me like a ton of bricks. It was bad. I don't really know how I'm going to handle it the day he actually leaves, I just know I am not excited for that day. I guess the sooner he leaves the sooner he is home safe, but I still hate knowing that he is going to war and I can't do anything to keep him safe. I guess I am just so scared that I am not going to do enough to be supportive. Honestly, I have never known anyone who has been deployed in my lifetime (uncles and grandparents before I was born, and I know others in the military, but none who have been deployed). It wouldn't make it any easier having been through it before, but at least I might know what to expect. It is just really hard. All I can do now is pray and hope, I guess. And try to relax and enjoy myself as much as possible.

"A part of you has grown in me, and so you see, it's you and me together forever and never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart." <3

No comments:

Post a Comment