Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Today was, of course, Valentines Day. I was really lucky and got to talk to the boy for about two hours, which is more than we've ever been able to talk on Valentines Day. I can't wait for the day we can celebrate together, but I don't really foresee that happening while he is still in the military. We also got to talk for several hours yesterday, which was great. I have missed seeing his face so much.

For Valentines Day my friends and I went out for coffee and pastries, because nothing makes sadness disappear like coffee and pastries. One of the girls and I are both in very serious long-term relationships: mine of just over 2 years; hers of just over a year and a half. Thus, we decided to be each other's valentine today, since we are missing our real valentines. On my way home from school today I stopped by a Chino (dollar store run by Chinese people. Really, everyone calls them Chinos) to pick up valentine's gifts for my boy. I can not afford to send them to him now, but I will make him a themed care package when I get home. While I was there I decided to get my fake valentine something too, so I picked her up a teddy bear that I think is meant for a baby (Clue: It says "baby" on the foot), and a bouquet of blue lilies. I have heard that blue is a good sympathy color, so I chose sympathy for her being away from her boy. It was really cute and it was kind of fun to have a valentines day with tons of friends. I remember last year I was completely alone and didn't even get to talk to the boy, so I literally sat in my dorm and ate ice cream and ordered pizza

The old man I live with smokes like a chimney. This is not new. However, he has almost always kept his door closed or been considerate enough to go outside to smoke. Lately, however, he has been walking around the house with a cigarette or leaving his door wide open while he smokes. I am so not a fan of smoking to begin with, but I can handle it on the street, or if I am visiting someone else's home. However, since this is where I am living for 3 months, it is really not okay for this to happen. I feel bad asking him not to, however, because he is really sickly (wonder why. I am sure it has nothing to do with the three packs he goes through a day) so I don't want to make him go outside every time he needs a cigarette, and it is his home, so I don't want to tell him how to live in his own home. It also clearly doesn't bother my host parents, and this is their house so they make the rules. I just feel bad telling other people how to live, but this will make me sick if I have to deal with this the entire time. I emailed our coordinator in Caceres. Hopefully she will be able to give me an idea on what to do.

Happy Valentine's Day
Remember you are loved

No comments:

Post a Comment