Sunday, February 13, 2011

La Montana

Yesterday my friends and I slept in after our long day at Merida, and then went for churros around 11. They were delicious. Imagine funnel cake dipped in thick hot chocolate. So. Good. After filling up on churros and meeting up with almost the entire rest of the group we went to the mountain just outside of Caceres to climb it. The climb involved crossing a shallow creek (rock steps in the middle) and a couple flights of rock steps. We also passed the house of Don Quijote on the way up. I don't think it's the same one as in the story, but it's fun to pretend. The boy called me on my way up, which was a happy surprise since I wasn't expecting him at the hotel until 7-9 my time. 30 minutes of climbing later, we reached the top. There is a statue of Jesus and the most beautiful view of Caceres ever. It was amazing. All of us brought lunches, and my friends and I had bought Oreos, Tinto de Verano (tint of summer: fruity wine + some pop = delicious), and Fanta Limon to share amongst the whole group. I asked for a small lunch for the day. I told my host mom 1 sandwich and water would be fine. She handed me a lunch of 2 full baguette sandwiches, 2 oranges, yogurt, cake, orange juice, water, and orange Fanta. I don't know who she thinks she is feeding, but I don't need 2 full baguette sandwiches! We had a lovely lunch and siesta on the top before heading back down around 3.

When I got back home the Michigan girl had left, so I could move into her room. While I was happy to have my permanent room, I was tired and just wanted to nap. After I got all moved in, I showered and siesta-ed. It was lovely. When I woke up I called the boy and got to Skype with him for the first time in about a month. It was so great to see his pretty face! After talking to him for awhile, I had dinner with my family and then went out last night with my group. Ended up coming home around 3:30. My host family woke me up at 11:30 this morning for a lovely breakfast of homemade churros. Spain is wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. It makes me sad that you have no comments, so I had to post one. I loved your ending, I even wrote it down...it's good to always remind people. <3 I'm looking forward to your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I totally posted this on the wrong entry...whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume this was meant for the Valentines day entry? And thanks, I can't take credit for the ending, but I do like to pass the message on.

    ReplyDelete